LF: RE: Discussion of the Peter Bobek award, and TransAtlantic II

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE: Discussion of the Peter Bobek award, and TransAtlantic II
From: "John W Gould" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 08:49:46 -0400
Sender: <[email protected]>
As one of the prime movers to get the award in place I felt that I needed to
respond to Larry's comments.  Firstly, I must make it clear that I totally
agree with Larry's approach.  I also ought to say that my views here are my
own, rather than representing those of the RSGB HF Committee.  I also
haven't discussed this reply with the other sponsors of the award - the DARC
or AMRAD, though I suspect that they would agree with my line.

One of the purposes of the award was to remember a modest but determined
experimenter and excellent operator who amongst other significant amateur
achievements was one of the pioneers on 136kHz.  The basic idea came from
another determined and successful experimenter who participates in this
list.  The award was also put in place to act as a driver for those within
the hobby who use an award to sustain their interest in meeting a specific
goal.  Clearly, it will be difficult to meet the terms of the challenge.
Larry is right to remind us that before anyone is successful we may need to
achieve the 2-way QSO at higher ERP.  Maybe the guys in the Azores or
Iceland who, for the purposed of the award we decided to exclude, may be
able to add a valuable contribution by demonstrating a 1 watt ERP QSO over
part of the distance. Both steps will help calibrate what is needed to be
done in order to meet the challenge.

We have to remember that the challenge is optional.  I have some fun doing
DXCC on the HF Bands, but I don't do IOTA - that's my choice. My XYL can't
understand why I do amateur radio as the Internet or the 'phone is so much
easier and can be cheaper - but that's another debate!

Through simple things like lists of records and firsts, awards, some amongst
us have been encouraged to improve their technical and operating knowledge.
Not all - some have drive to do that without the lists, awards, etc.   Each
to his/her own.  Over the last few years aerial and receiving capability has
improved significantly.  Work on information coding and modulation,
developed for other reasons has been successfully applied, e.g. G3PLX, G4JNT
and VE2IQ.... to name but a few of the experimenters.

It doesn't matter what drives us, but don't let's open up a debate about the
rules for the Transatlantic Challenge.

I look forward to monitoring the TransAtlantic II activity - I hope that
others are inspired to set up other experiments, whether or not an award or
certificate follows the achievement.

I probably need an award to transmit LF outside the boundary of my garden!

73
John