LF: Re: TransAtlantic II

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: TransAtlantic II
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 15:44:12 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
From Dave G3YMC

Peter Dodd wrote:
I don't recall that DJ8WL had any hang-ups about using QRSS - in fact
all my QSOs with him used this mode

Yes I am aware that Peter was a keen supporter of slow CW.  However after
many pleasant QSOs with him years ago on Top Band I can also say he was a
most enthusiastic and very proficient normal CW operator.

Some of my comments yesterday have been taken slightly out of context.  By
saying that due reward should be given for a normal CW transatlantic QSO,
this is not to imply that QRSS or other computer modes are not equally
valid, and may indeed be necessary.  It was just to say wouldn't it be nice
if we could indeed do it using traditional amateur techniques.  And normal
CW should not be written off too soon as being impossible, as regardless of
theoretical calculations the human ear is incredibly good at copying CW way
below noise, so in the right conditions it might just be possible.

When November comes it will be an opportunity to try all the techniques
currently available.  It may well be that only the coherent modes get
through, but it would also be great if we find we can have normal CW QSOs as
well.

Also the opportunity to use the Decca masts in the current experiment is a
golden opportunity which shouldn't be missed.  It may well be argued that
QSOs made with commercial stations shouldn't count for rewards, but that is
not the point.  We all keep looking at these masts and say 'if only' - now
we can see if they do really give the enormous advantage we calculate, and
give us useful guidance on how to make our own modest set ups work better.
It is after all a hobby.

Re: the key click comments.  Key clicks within a 250Hz band are probably not
the sort of clicks we often hear on the other bands which spread much
further, and are very much a function of the drive rise and fall times of
the keying envelope (NOT the ac drive itself).  To achieve inaudible clicks
this close to the carrier is indeed no mean feat, and I am sure a lot of
care was taken by the team involved.  It is hardly a licensing issue, except
that the transmission may possibly be occupying a slightly wider bandwidth
than strictly necessary for the speed of CW in use - the amplitude of the
2nd and 3rd harmonics and any out of band spurii would be, I wonder if these
were measured by the complainant?  As it is, the clicks would only affect
someone else trying to work a weak station very close to the Puckeridge
station.  I am therefore a little puzzled why the gentleman involved chose
to call CQ so close, possibly causing QRM himself to the operation, when at
that particular time there was plenty of empty band further LF.

I am away this weekend so will not be able to monitor the Puckeridge
operation this time.  Hopefully there will be another chance before it is
dismantled.

Cheers Dave
[email protected]
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/sergeantd