LF: Opration from ex-Decca station

To: "LF-Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Opration from ex-Decca station
From: "Dick Rollema" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 22:46:14 +0200
Sender: <[email protected]>
To All from PA0SE

At 1737 UTC I heard and worked G3WSC/P with Derek, G3GRO at the key.

Their signal was -70 dBm (S9 + 3dB) at the receiver input. The corresponding field strength is 32 microvolt/meter. ERP was given as 1W and transmitter output as 10W.

At 2000 UTC I listened on 73 kHz but heard (or saw on Spectogram) no signal. But local noise level is pretty high in the evening hours.

I had just completed an untuned single turn screened loop with an area of 1 metre squared.
Connected to a Wandel & Goltermann selective level meter type SPM-12 (a recent acquisition) I measured the field strength of DCF139 (138.83kHz) in the shack at 2 mV/m and of DCF77 (77.5 kHz) at 3.2 mV/m. These values were used to find the relation between field strength and receiver input voltage.

When one of the coming days it is dry I will repeat the FS measurements in an open field. This can be easily done because the SPM-12 can also be fed from a 12 V battery.  The results will enable me to use the station receiver as a field strength meter at both 73 and 136 kHz.

I am looking forward to more of these interesting "Decca" tests!

73, Dick, PA0SE