LF: G/GW 73/136 Crossband QSOs

To: [email protected], "Steve Baugh" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: G/GW 73/136 Crossband QSOs
From: "Steve Rawlings" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2000 07:58:27 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Jim M0BMU wrote

. . .  I hope to be QRV later this evening on 73kHz. I am also working
on my field strength measuring equipment, and hope to try it out
later in the weekend.

I am delighted to report an LF crossband QSO this morning (Saturday)
with Jim (Jim on 73, me on 136).  Jim was easy copy at RST 559 in a 500
Hz bandwidth over the 170 km path.  Well done, Jim!

But my first LF crossband QSO - and presumably the first G/GW LF
crossband - took place when I worked John G4GVC (140 km) last night. Noise levels were higher last night, but John's 73 kHz signal was still
a good 559 here.  Thanks for encouraging me to get the antenna tuned for
73 kHz, John!

I experience very similar local electrical noise on 73 kHz to that heard
on 136 kHz.  So, unless I build another noise canceller for 73 kHz, my
best chance of hearing stations on 73 kHz will be in the mornings.

Regards to all,
Steve GW4ALG
Tel: 01291 625977
Life Member ARRL; G-QRP Club No. 10574