LF: Activity report

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Activity report
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 17:03:12 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Been too busy to post weekend reports recently, but I have spent some time on 73kHz, and have made more QSOs in the last few weeks than in the first two years of the band being available (reason is greatly improved stations all round and new interest from mainland Eu).

Last two weeks in March Inband normal CW QSOs with M0BMU, G3LDO, G3XTZ, G4GVC. Crossband QRSs contacts (73/136) with ON4ZK and PA0SE. Saw my QRSs signals on a Spectrogram sent to M0BMU by IK5ZPV. This is 1199km.

Saturday 02 April Decca transmissions at the bottom of the band due to cease but they did not. (Thanks, Walter for the explanation). QRSs sked on 73kHz band with IK5ZPV (on 136kHz). After several attempts, a good signal from Valerio gave me a 'T' report but he did not see my reply. In an e-mail he reported bad storms in Italy, and more forecast for tomorrow. Also heard G4GVC (579) and G2AJV (559) on 73kHz.

Sunday 02 April Another 73kHz sked with IK5ZPV but no reply. Heard G3YXM on 73kHz. On 136kHz worked DF8ZR. Exchanged 'O'/'O' reports. He was using DFCW (VCW) and this was my first QSO with someone using this mode. Although he was inaudible, his VCW transmission was fully copiable and much faster than my standard QRSs. It was a bit more difficult to decipher - I had to write down each letter - and was more prone to bumping into a Loran sideband. Distance was 666km.

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.dennison.demon.co.uk/activity.htm