LF: 73kHz/Decca Sites

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: 73kHz/Decca Sites
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 11:50:51 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

The Rugby TX is still off the air (or was at about 0730utc), as it has been for the last couple of days. Worked G3XTZ, G3LDO, and G3XDV last night, all 'armchair copy' signals. If anybody would like a 73kHz or cross-band sked, please let me know - hopefully we will be able to take advantage of this window of opportunity.

Also listened from time to time on 136kHz - but did not hear LA1K. However, I dozed off some time around 2100, so might have missed him!

OK about the Idea of experiments to compare big and small antennas at a Decca site - this looks like an interesting idea, but perhaps 1W ERP is being a bit hopeful from the small antenna; it would probably be neccessary to settle for lower power from both antennas for the duration of the experiment. I did some EZNEC simulations a while ago, to follow up a suggestion by G3XDV that the towers at Brookmans Park MF broadcast site might be acting as parasitic radiators, enhancing the M0BMU signal. The result was essentially that, with a spacing of some hundreds of metres, the effect was neglegible, provided the big antenna was not resonated at 136kHz. This could be achieved by grounding one antenna whilst using the other, or similar.

A 300ft tower is still only lambda/24 at 136kHz, so should in theory give the same vertical radiation pattern as an 'infinitesimal' vertical, to all practical intents and purposes.

Hope to hear more about Decca sites soon,

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU