LF: Antennas

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Antennas
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 21:09:49 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

Very interested to read the discussion on antennas - a couple of things:

Ground planes: it seems to me that the ground isn't much like a plane at all; at LF, the skin depth of the ground is from several metres to tens of metres, depending on the type of ground - similar to or larger than the height of most amateur antennas. Therefore, a considerable part of the field of the antenna must be within the ground itself. It might be better to think of such antennas as asymmetrical dipoles, one side of which (the ground system) are embedded in a lossy dielectric (the ground).

The other thing is about ground waves and sky waves; OH2LX's comments about how much of each are produced by a given antenna, and whether anybody knows, are most fascinating. It certainly seems to me that ground waves are a different thing to waves in free space; looking at the literature, there are whole classes of surface wave propagation modes where the surface of a conductor, or the interface between two dielectrics, acts as a sort of one-sided wave guide. There are many types of microwave antenna that use these modes, and a copy of the RSGB handbook from the 1960's features a single-wire low loss UHF transmission line using a surface wave mode. Then again, the field strength produced by the ground wave, at least when the ground is good, and the distance fairly short, is supposed to be close to the value arrived at for the 'free space' antenna. Apparently, measurements confirm this. Software such as EZNEC gives the result that there is zero propagation along the horizontal with anything other than perfectly conducting ground, but we all know this is not so.

I would be very interested to see the article Vaino refers to, if he could tell me where it can be obtained.

Hope this makes some sense....

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU