LF: Marco re CFH power

To: "rsgb_lf_group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Marco re CFH power
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 01:27:58 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi again Marco. No according to Jon who is a technician on the site CFH is
capable of 25kW. But due to budget restraints (Canadian Navy usage) and the
cost of the electricity bill, it is usually run at 8-9kW. The aerial is a
70m with a large number ( I think 24) loading wires which are the top 17m of
the guy wires. ( I cannot remember exactly, but I have Jean-Marc's message
somewhere in my archive) The maximum shift is +/- 42.5Hz so the two tones
should be 85 Hz apart. I think it used to send RTTY on a more conventional
FSK mode early last year. I do not know what type the mod. is now but it
could be CPM I suppose. It has been suggested by Gammal that these
commercial aerials are between 60 an 80% efficient so it could be a 5-6kW
erp signal.

I see it peaking to about 17dB above the noise in 100Hz (with mod ) with the
strongest signal being about 45mins before local dawn, and falling rapidly
after that.

73 de Alan G3NYK    JO02PB
[email protected]