LF: Weekend report

To: "lfgroup" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Weekend report
From: "kate moore" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 09:31:15 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
EU activity heard since Friday on 136kHz normal CW:
OZ8NJ (569), HB9DCE (449), DJ6FU (569), PA0BWL (559), SM6PXJ (569),
PI4DEC (579), DK9DX (569), OH1XF (559QSB), DJ5DI (559), OE5ODL (559),
PA0SE (579), IK5ZPV (569), DJ5BV (559), EI0CF (589), OG5UFO (559),
I5MXX (559).

with all the usual stations from G and GW, plus GM3YXM/P back in Galloway
and G4JNT, on Friday night, sending PSK test transmissions (S7).

Conditions have again been very variable, with lots of QSB - the more
distant signals often rising out of the noise, reaching a peak for some
time and then fading away again. CFH was audible here from around 19.00UT
to 09.00UT. Activity levels were very high, and even Friday was busy
throughout the day with many contacts being made. Dave GM3YXM/P was a very
strong signal during the afternoon, flying his kite antenna near Stranraer.

I worked 9 countries on Saturday, but didn't hear anything from OM2TW.
An interesting new one was OH1XF who was RST-449 with deep QSB during our
QSO at 08.52UT, but eventually drifted into the carrier on 136.650kHz, so I
lost him right at the end. He re-appeared briefly a little later at 559.
After last week's QSO with Marzio, I was very pleased to have my best
ever QSO with Valerio IK5ZPV at 14.30UT, followed just over an hour later
by a very good QSO with SM6PXJ - three CW contacts greater than 1000km
distance within a few hours, and all during daylight. This band never
ceases to amaze me!

The weather was lousy here on Sunday morning; fairly soon the wind chafed
the near halyard I should have replaced ages ago, and down came the
antenna. As I had such a good day on Saturday, I decided to wait for a
nicer day to refurbish it properly, and had a pleasant rest from radio
instead - thus, nothing at all to report.

        Regards  John G4GVC near Leicester, IO92JP

   **  TX: Synth + 400W RF from modified 'G3YXM' Mosfet PA           **
   **  RX: TS-850S with 3 x CW filters and 0.5ppm TCXO               **
   **  Ant: Inv-L 60m long, 6m high at feed end, 12m high at far end **