LF: How bad my receiver was....

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: How bad my receiver was....
From: "Larry Kayser" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 09:22:03 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>
Greetings All:

After the excitement on Friday night I took a hard look at finding out how
bad my receiving system really was.  With the effort of some friends
yesterday and this morning I am now able to say that my receiving system is
16 to 24 dB down from optimum.

The Peak signal from DCF39 was +33dB  over the noise.  This signal level in
a nearly dead receiver means that with a working receiver this would put us
within "good shooting range" of hearing a 137 kHz amateur signal across the
North Atlantic.

There will be more solar storms such as that which occurred last Friday
evening here in Canada.  HOW do we detect these events in sufficient time to
capitalize on them?

I already have some G station phone numbers now.  So if we know about the
event we can at least get a few stations sending.

How do we ensure we know about the solar event at the earliest possible
moment?

73

Larry
VA3LK

Yes, I am already working today on a better loop RX antenna, parts are
already in the mail.....