LF: 73kHz - 7S6SAJ - Rugby

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: 73kHz - 7S6SAJ - Rugby
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 11:55:13 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

Friday evening, on 73kHz - Called CQ with normal CW and QRSS between 2000 and 2300 on Friday - couldn't definitely identify any replies, but there was a steady trace on the Spectrogram screen for a couple of hours, which I would guess was G2AJV in beacon mode. Saturday afternoon and evening - heard many DX signals, 7S6SAJ very strong of course, 599+, many D's, I5MXX, OH3LYG, and for the first time, OM2TW (329 - 439). Called several, but no luck. Congratulations to Christer and Johan on their excellent signal, and the amount of activity it generated.

Sunday morning - was delighted to work 7S6SAJ for my first QRSS contact, around 0030. We exchanged 'O' reports. Also saw signals from G0MRF and I think DJ5BH. Later on, about 0330, saw 7S6SAJ and G3XDV in QSO. I don't have facilities for absolute signal strength measurements, but I compared the two signals with an audio mV meter (and no AGC). 'SAJ was 1.5dB down on 'XDV - Mike is only about 11km away, though!

Re: Rugby 73.4kHz TX - I would just reiterate that I measured the mains hum on the Rugby TX when it was transmitting an unmodulated, CW carrier for several minutes during testing on Tuesday afternoon, so this would be something extra to contribute to the noise sidebands, in addition to any actual modulation. Interesting about the two data signals. I'm sure it would be difficult to make a TX operating in this mode that didn't generate IM products sufficient to trouble us amateurs, especially if it is just a refit of an existing transmitter.

Hope to hear 7S6SAJ again soon - at the moment, it certainly is the best chance of a transatlantic 136kHz QSO.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU