Re: [LF: Galveston NDB]

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [LF: Galveston NDB]
From: "Michael Oexner" <[email protected]>
Date: 20 Jan 00 17:23:48 MET
Cc: [email protected]
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Geri,

GLS-206 has not (yet) been logged by European NDB DXers. The only US mainland
NDB that I know has been heard (in the UK) is CLB-216 Carolina Beach NC. They
are using about the same power and antenna system (vertical) as DDP-391 (cf.
below). NDBs from Canada are "easier" catches in Europe (relatively
speaking).

Please have a look at the following URLs to see what has been heard in
Europe:

http://www.zen.co.uk/home/page/alan.gale/aoa.zip

http://members.aol.com/aibold21/ndbz.zip

http://members.xoom.com/MarkWA1ION/mo9910es.pdf

The exact coordinates of GLS are N29020'02.249" and W94045'22.401" according
to FAA information.

I just received a QSL from DDP (Puerto Rico, heard from Andalusia/Spain) on
391 kHz.

Let me quote from their letter concerning the antenna system: The equipment is
a Nautel transmitter running 3000 watts into a 300-ft. guyed steel antenna
tower. The antenna has a ground radial system consisting of 120 bare copper
conductors, No. 6 AWG, spaced at 3-degree intervals. Each radial is 598 feet
long. [end of quote]

I've heard this NDB on several occasions (December 1987 from Hillsboro in
Oregon/USA, February 1988 from Kauai each evening I tried, and now in October
1999 from Andalusia).

vy 73 + gd DX,

Michael

RX: ICOM R71A, Sony ICF-SW7600G, W&G SPM-3
Antenna: Radio West 22.5" ferrite loop with amplifier, Wellbrook ALA 100, 20m
longwire
Location: Roschbach, Germany N 49015' E 8007'
Member: CSDXC, DSWCI, EUNL, LWCA, MWC
Editor of "The European NDB Handbook"
e-mail: [email protected]