Re: LF: Balloon lofted antennas

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Balloon lofted antennas
From: "Steve Rawlings" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 08:23:09 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Stewart G3YSX wrote:

1) Where can you get a met balloon in the UK. Are there any viable
alternatives.

I would also like to know a source of small meteorological ('met.')
balloons of, say, 700 mm diameter, that have good gas retention
properties.

At the moment I use 400 mm party balloons (sold as 'Punch Ball'
balloons), but only under conditions of low wind speed.
2) Where can you get the gas to inflate the balloon

Your local stockist of bottled gas can supply helium, and it is normally
sold as 'balloon gas'. ('BOC' is the name of one such organisation.) The gas is also sold by suppliers of party balloons. I obtain the gas
in 'V' size cylinders through a deal with a local party balloon
supplier.  The deal is based on a monthly rental of the gas cylinder,
plus the cost of the gas used.

More information about my use of balloons can be found at:
http://www.alg.demon.co.uk/radio/136/balloon.htm

and:
http://www.alg.demon.co.uk/radio/136/experi_vert2.htm

Regards to all,