LF: Re: Transatlantic

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Transatlantic
From: [email protected]
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 20:20:32 EST
Sender: <[email protected]>
In a message dated 1/16/00 10:44:27 GMT Daylight Time, [email protected] writes:

<< Yes - if he can hear anything behind the 750 kW Loran transmitter at Cape Race!!!!

Walter G3JKV.

Hello Group.

Walter, raises a very pertinent topic. What is reception like over there?

With 750kW of Loran in Cape Race, there would seem to be little point trying to use St Johns as a QTH. But is there another location where the QRM would be acceptable?

A question, well actually two:
1)  What is the ERP of the Loran station at Lessay on the French coast?
2) Is Cape Race THE Loran station for the NW Atlantic or are there more stations to the North in Labrador?

QRM from Loran in Southern UK is well documented. At G3LDO's QTH it is severe but the 200k Path from Lessay to Worthing is abt 160km sea and 40k land. Here in West London the Loran is much less of a problem. The path length is only 260km but is about 50:50 land to sea. It appears that the 'land' - perhaps the two ranges of hills in particular, add a significant amount to the attenuation.

I notice that Cape Race is in the far SE part of VO1.
If land does attenuate the Loran significantly, and the ERPs are similar, then a site >300k away from Cape Race could be a reasonable site for a Transatlantic attempt. As we're all in a speculative frame of mind, how about somewhere between Carmanville and Lewisporte? 320km and 90% overland from Cape Race.

1W ERP should make it across, but it will need good planning and a bit of technology.
I wonder if this time next year someone will have claimed those trophies?

73

David    G0MRF