LF: Rugby ???

To: "rsgb_lf_group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Rugby ???
From: "Andre' Kesteloot" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 15:02:29 -0500
Cc: "Gentges K0BRA, Frank" <[email protected]>
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello LF Gang,
Rugby on 16 KHz heard in Virginia, or so it seems...
Andre' N4ICK
Frank Gentges K0BRA wrote on <[email protected]>:

LFers,

I took the van out Sunday afternoon to Algonkian Park to make a dry run.
Active antenna went up on a 24' pole.  It went up fine and just strapped
it to the ladder on the back of the van with a couple of straps.

Tentec DSP RX320 receiver ran on car battery through a cigarette lighter
cord.  A second 12

volt UPS deep cycle battery was added in series and then regulated down
to 19 volts to run the Thinkpad notebook computer.  Some noise coupled
into the audio lines from the RX320 into the notebook.  The notebook
battery charging circuit was the source.  I built an audio isolation
adapter to isolate the grounds between the notebook and the RX320 and it
fixed the problem.

I copied GBR near 16 kHz from Rugby UK.  I copied 3 LOWFers, DCH from
Berlin MD, TH from Colts Neck, NJ and A3O from PA.  Also copied by ear
the Wa2XTF beacon from Front Royal.

[...]

Frank K0BRA