LF: LF Loops etc.

To: "rsgb lf group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: LF Loops etc.
From: "LAWRENCE MAYHEAD" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 11:19:37 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Re. the ongoing discussion about loops. I agree that loops are very inefficient,not surprising since the radiation resistance is so low for a neccessarily very small loop on 136.(even a single turn loop several hundred feet long is far short of a wavelength)And of course the DC resistance cannot be made anywhere near low  enough.HOWEVER for recieve purposes where the ant signal far exceeds reciever noise the loops directional properties can be used to good effect.Both single and multi-turn loops exhibit a "fig of 8" pattern with very deep nulls on the side,  or if configured as an EWE the pattern can be cardoid giving some gain in the favoured direction and some b/front. Grounded bi-poles as described earlier are single turn loops using ground as one leg of the loop.No doubt the grounding helps with local noise/static etc. but by putting a resistor in one leg the "fig8" pattern can be made into a cardoid. I am using a grounded loop here to reject the Loran station in France (only 150 Km from this QTH) with very great success.
In conclusion I would not use a loop for transmitting ! but dont forget its valuable properties as a recieving antenna. 73s Laurie.