Re: LF: M0BMU - First week on LF

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: M0BMU - First week on LF
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 13:00:23 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
G0MBU wrote:
Many thanks to all the stations who have worked me during the last week or so, for the very warm welcome I have received, and their patience with my patchy morse capabilities! It has made all the work involved in getting on LF thoroughly worthwhile.

TX: 100W from VFO & modified Maplin mosfet audio amp - manual CW only at the moment.

Antenna: Inverted L, 30m long and 5m high, two wires in top section, joined at feed end and spaced 4m apart at far end. About 8 ground rods spread around garden. Matching by adjustable series loading coils, and multi-tapped ferrite cored transformer. Aerial current 1.4A

Congratulations on your first week's operating. We haven't worked yet, but no doubt will soon as I am your nearest local.

Actually, I'm insanely jealous as you are already getting the same reports as me and it took me two years to get to that level - and all with just 100W and a low antenna. And 1.4A from a 100W Tx? My 200 watter produces 1.7A so your antenna must have a lower impedance than mine. I suspect the proximity to Brookman's Park BBC helps as you may well be benefitting from the earth mat and possibly even some parasitic radiation from the masts/antennas (for those that don't know, it is an MF station with verticals and a big Marconi T).

Anyway, congratulations on a good start and welcome to the friendliest band there is.

I have also been playing with 10m telescopic fiberglass poles, of the same type shown on GW4ALG's web pages, to prop up the middle of my antenna and so gain a few metres. Like Steve, I found these whipped about in the wind a lot, but have now guyed them using monofilament "strimmer line" from a garden shop, tied round the antenna wires with no further insulation. These were not harmed by operating in the rain either, even with the key held down continuously for 30 seconds.

I have used this mast at home and portable, and its insulating properties are very good indeed. I did not need to use additional insulators with it.

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.dennison.demon.co.uk/activity.htm