LF: Report: 5th December 1999

To: "LF Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Report: 5th December 1999
From: "Steve Rawlings" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 08:28:14 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Sunday, 5th:
03:18 G3AQC (20m vertical; sent 599, received 579).  Laurie then went
QRT with suspected RX antenna problems.
03:26 G0MRF (20; 559, 569).  David then went Visual CW.
07:00 PA0BWL (20; 349, 439)
12:21 M0BMU (12; 579, 439)

Also, thanks to Mike G3XDV for his report:
During a brief period of insomnia at 0300, heard GW4ALG calling
DL1SAN. Steve was 599 but nothing heard of the DL. The Greek
RTTY was 10dB up on normal evening levels.

Early morning tests
*******************
The band was very 'quiet' during the entire test period of 03:00 - 05:00
UT.  There was virtually no QRN, and the background noise was very low -
rather like listening to 136 kHz during the day.

No signals from outside 'G' were heard.  I am grateful to Mike; Laurie;
and David for their reports.

I know that Laurie G3AQC has done some great work in improving his
signal recently, but the signal from Laurie at 03:18 seemed to be even
stronger (by about 1 S-point) than his daytime signal.  The signal from
David G0MRF also seemed to be slightly up on his normal daytime signal
strength.

During the tests, I had a funny feeling that my signals were getting
further than G-land.  So I am still keen to try further tests.  Skeds
welcome.

Noise canceller
I'm still preparing some details about an LF version of the VK5BR noise
canceller.  Basic information, however, can be found at:
http://www.cableol.net/alg/radio/136/noise_can.htm

Regards to all,
Steve GW4ALG