LF: LF Report: 20/21st November 1999

To: "LF Group" <[email protected]>, "Steve Baugh" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: LF Report: 20/21st November 1999
From: "Steve Rawlings" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 21:24:33 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
This report is in 3 parts: General Operating; Early Morning Test
Results; and Noise Canceller.

General Operating
****************************
What an exciting weekend on LF!

Saturday, 20th:
06:00 HB9ASB (12 m vertical; sent 579, received 3/4 69) Our first QSO
with only my 12 m vertical
07:36 G3YMC (12; 559, 599)
09:33 G4GVC (12; 599, 599)
11:08 GD3XTZ/P (12; 589, 579) First GD-GW
11:48 G6NB (12; 589, 589)
19:30 G6RO (12; 579, 569)
20:20 OH1TN (12; 579, 3/4 39

Sunday, 21st:
04:55 SM6PXJ (12; 579, 439)
07:02 PA0BWL (12; 349, 449)
10:40 GD3YXM/P (12; 599, 579)
11:07 GD0MRF (12; 599, 579)
11:50 GB2CPM (12; 599, 589)
17:17 GI3PDN (12; 569, 449) Our first QSO
19:17 HB9ASB (20; 589, 579)
20:00 OH1TN (20; 579, 549)
20:08 OH3LYG (20; 359, 559) Our first QSO
20:24 G8RW (20; 569, 559)
20:45 G3KEV (20; 599, 579)
21:17 ON7YD (20; 569, 549)
22:02 SM6PXJ (20; 579, 559)

In addition to the record-breaking activity from the intrepid team on
GD, other highlights this weekend were the big signals from HB9; SM; &
OH.  OH1TN provided the first 'OH' QSO for several stations this
weekend.

I have now worked 13 countries on normal-speed CW with my basic 12 m
vertical (no top loading wires).  None of the evening QSOs these past
two days would have been possible without the use of my noise canceller
(see below).

Early Morning Test Results
*************************************
Both Christer, SM6PXJ and I transmitted during the test period 03:00 -
05:00 UT on Sunday.  Christer operated on 136.4, and I operated on 136.8
kHz.  Unfortunately the northerly wind was still blowing in GW, so there
was no possibility of putting up the balloon-supported vertical - I
could only use my 12 m vertical.

In GW, the noise level remained constant during the period, at about S7
in a 500 Hz bandwidth.  The noise sources were mainly from Loran,
together with a 'frying' type of noise, believed to be QRN.

Both Christer and I either called CQ, or listened, during the test
period.  No other CW signals were heard.  But, undistracted by pile-ups
(!), this gave me the opportunity to record frequently any change in the
signal from Christer.   Here are the results . . .
1) I was surprised to find that Christer's signal remained at about S6
for much of the test period.  An easy to copy signal. His signal peaked
to S7 from 03:15 to 03:30; and again from 04:30 to 05:00 (end of test
period).  Only one deep 'trough' was observed.  This occurred at 04:00
when his signal dipped below the noise, perhaps to S3/4.
2) At 03:21, an unsuccessful attempt at a QSO was made.  Christer sent
me 219, but he did not get my 579 report.  Later, at 04:55, we had a
successful QSO (I sent 579; received 439).  I went back to bed shortly
afterwards.

I am keen to try further tests, as there appear to be good opportunities
for working DX in the early morning.  Such operating times might be
useful for stations interested in LF DXing, but who cannot participate
during the evening openings (due to, for example, work schedules; or
local QRM problems).

Noise canceller
******************
I continue to get excellent results from my VK5BR noise canceller.  But,
because the noise canceller requires different settings for each of my
two receive antennas (loop/vertical), I find myself having to adjust the
noise canceller quite frequently.  My current project involves building
two switched noise cancellers in one box.  I plan to use a sense signal
from my antenna switch to automatically select the appropriate noise
canceller for the chosen antenna.  Also, I will add a 'mix' facility so
that I can try to cancel out two different QRM sources simultaneously.

Regards to all,
Steve GW4ALG