LF: Re: new version of QRS supports FDK

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: new version of QRS supports FDK
From: "Steve Olney" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 06:55:05 +1100
Sender: <[email protected]>
G'day All,

I just got a new 'beta' version of QRS ready that supports FDK. Those who
want to test it are requested to send me a mail (direct, not via
reflector).

I have written to Rik and explained that there needs to be some distinction
about the VCW method discussed here and FDK.    The VCW mode discussed here
over the last week is NOT FDK.    That is, the new 'beta' version of QRS
does not support FDK, but rather it supports VCW.
I had put forward the description VFSKCW when presenting my evaluation Beta
software for the VCW method.   I don't care what it is called as long as it
is not referred to as FDK.   Mike, G3XDV, had suggested  the VCW name and
that seems the best even though it doesn't refer to the frequency shift
component and I would strongly support his suggestion.

The software for the completely different FDK method should be ready in the
next few weeks for your evaluation.
If anyone has any questions about the difference between VCW and FDK please
send me an e-mail and I will be happy to answer them.  Alternatively, you
can follow the link below.

I know that some of you will be thinking that this is a small point in the
scheme of things, but if you have ever tried to get feedback on some novel
mode or idea (after spending hundreds of hours programming), you will know
that confusion about what the principles are behind the mode are a killer.
73s Steve Olney (VK2ZTO/AXSO - QF56IK : Lat -33 34 07, Long +150 44 40)
LowFer URL:
http://www.zeta.org.au/~ollaneg/lowfer.htm
AXSO LF Experimental Station URL:
http://www.zeta.org.au/~ollaneg/axsoextx.htm
LF Receiving - FRG-100, CHA antenna
LF Transmitting - 177.5/177.4kHz 8W - 7.6m vertical or CHA
Modes - AM, SSB, PSK31, SSTV, Hellschreiber, QRSS
and a new experimental mode - FDK.  See this URL for more:
http://www.zeta.org.au/~ollaneg/FDK.htm