LF: re Meteors at LF?

To: "rsgb_lf_group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: re Meteors at LF?
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 19:35:22 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
The only things I remember seeing about meteor effects at these frequencies
are 'sweepers' or 'swishers' and I think these are heard at much lower
frequencies. I think these may be the effect of ionisation caused as the
meteor enters the atmosphere. I suggest that the trail would have to be
sufficiently highly ionised over a good 2 to 3 kms to refect 136kHz. I
suppose one could monitor distant BC signals for 'pings'. I suggest you have
a browse on the Long Wave Club of America web site, there are lots of
interesting non-amateur things on there and descriptions of how and where to
listen.
Do let us know if you hear anything interesting!
Cheers de Alan G3NYK