Re: LF: Bandplan

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Bandplan
From: "P. W. Schnoor" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 11:22:38 +0200
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear Colleagues,

Steve Rawlings wrote:

Without any operating guidelines, 136 kHz would soon become a very
chaotic and frustrating band to operate.

There's nothing what a "bandplan" could do against this. I do
not fear chaos and frustration confrontated by strong LORAN-C,
many local signal and noise sources, restricted to 20 Watts and
2.1 kHz of bandwidth. What I fear is that I could not make a
sked with a Rotex owner for VSCW or non-telegraphic mode on
136.5 (of course as short as possible and not at weekends...).
I believe that the adoption of
a workable set of guidelines (a 'bandplan') is essential to minimising
the risk of interference to other operators.

The main risk of interference is not the absence of a bandplan
of course. How should such restrictions help (i.e.) against
strong transmissions in combination with insufficient reception?

In addition, future band-planning may need to give due consideration to
the time of day; and day of the week - thus recognising the current
practice of avoiding beacon transmissions on Saturdays and Sundays when
band occupancy is high, and beaconing is inappropriate.

Of course, the current draft bandplan(s) still need further input and
discussion.

I hope not...

I'm strictly against any further 'bandplaning'. It will generate more conflicts than fun!

54°16'N / 10°04'E, JO54ag
73 es gl de Peter, DF3LP