LF: HF Convention

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: HF Convention
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 13:21:51 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
I have just spent two most stimulating days at the RSGB HF Convention. Since I was attending both as a professional for RSGB and an amateur as G3XDV, I worked hard, but also played hard too.

Congratulations to all concerned, especially to John, G3WKL, David, G0MRF and Graham, G3XTZ, for all of their hard work and to Dave, G3YXM and Andre, N4ICK, for their interesting lectures.

The company was very good, I spent a lot of time with N4ICK and DK8KW, as well as the Gs. It was also great to see lowfers from Holland and Portugal, too. Geri (pronounced with a hard G like "good"), DK8KW, was sporting a tee-shirt with a Spectrogram of his callsign and the slogan "Longwave enthusiasts do it extremely slow". We talked until about 11 Saturday night, then he flew back to DL at 7am Sunday, getting on the air for a sked with GB4RS at midday.

The work that went on behind the scenes to get the two 73kHz contacts was amazing. The FETs on G0MRF's transmitter died after a few minutes of operating - one by one. By the time we went into dinner on Saturday evening, the Tx was useless and we did not know why it kept blowing FETs. During the meal, David went quiet for a few minutes, then waved a piece of paper, saying "I have redesigned my PA for Class D". He left the convention very late in the evening, went home, rebuilt the transmitter and returned at 0630 local to put it on the air, this time successfully! This was just one example of the huge amounts of ingenuity used to keep things working.

I am convinced that we will have intrigued several HFers enough for them to venture onto 136kHz. And we certainly gave a boost to future activity from Portugal.

Lastly, the memory of Peter Bobek was very much kept alive in various conversations and in something more formal to be announced soon.

I will post some pics on my web site later this week.
See you next year.

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.dennison.demon.co.uk/activity.htm