LF: 73kHz Thurs 7th

To: "rsgb_lf_group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: 73kHz Thurs 7th
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 09:41:36 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Peter, Mike, and Roger. Strange this morning....2 signals appeared on the
screen almost simulataneously at a reading of 71.703kHz. It took a few
minutes to realise that these were separate signals, but the stronger one
with me drifted a few Hz hf. The weaker signal, steady on 71.703, had all
the signs of being Mike (same frequency and about the same strength as
yesterday) transmitting normal speed morse. I wonder whether the stronger
signal was Roger, (or Peter). Both transmission ceased at almost the same
time (0714z and a bit) The stronger one did not reappear, but the weaker
steady signal reappeared at 0720 (or was it 0726? Ambiguity due to poor
logging and a computer clocks running about 6 mins slow) and ceased at 0732
with a short burst at 0738. The last period has the signs of being a 'final
over' so I assume Mike completed a qso with Peter. I only just copy Mike on
spectrogram at maximum resolution, I had no sign of Peter's transmissions
between Mike's overs.

Although the stronger early transmission beginning at 0700z did show on
FFTDSP4 it was just too weak to hear audibly. My inadequate aerial is well
known so the strengths received are not signficant, better could be achieved
with more application, as some of my school reports said. I had a weak
sweeping mains buzz, which could be heard in the speaker but which did not
seem to disrupt spectrogram too much.

The aerial that just about works at 136 is showing its weakness at the more
difficult lower frequency.

Thanks for providing something to listen to on 73, its been a bit barren for
me up to now.
73 de Alan G3NYK
[email protected]