LF: Weekend report

To: "lfgroup" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Weekend report
From: "kate moore" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 07:56:40 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Stations worked here over the weekend on 136kHz using normal speed CW:

Friday 3/9
G3YMC (06.58UT: gave him 559, he gave me 599), GW4ALG (07.05: 58/99, 599).

Saturday 4/9
GW4ALG (06.55: 58/99, 589), DK8KW (07.03: 559, 449), EI0CF (08.30: 57/89,
569).

Sunday 5/9
PA0SE (06.58: 579, 579).

I wasn't particularly active this weekend and whenever I listened, it didn't
seem as if too many other people were either! From the afternoons onwards
static levels were high which tends to discourage activity anyway. I was
particularly pleased to work Geri DK8KW at last; he seemed to be doing very
well and was much in demand.

With regard to Dick's message about restarting the LF net - in principle I
think it would be a good idea and help to both co-ordinate activity and also
generate a wider interest in LF work. It's noticable that the number of
newcomers on the band is very small and that a high proportion of those are
not actually on the reflector. Having said that, we do need enough support
to make a net worthwhile and there has never been a great response to calls
for ideas on here. Inevitably it's going to be difficult to establish a time
and frequency which suits everyone, but maybe we need to try something and
see what happens. For my own part, Sunday evening is not convenient for me
any more and, not having a linear of any kind, I'm not convinced I would
have a very effective signal on 80m at night to run an international net,
but would be happy to try things out if people feel it's worth it. If anyone
with a better 80m signal would like to run a net, then that's fine too!

        Regards  John G4GVC near Leicester, IO92JP

   **  TX: Synth + 400W RF from modified 'G3YXM' Mosfet PA           **
   **  RX: TS-850S with 3 x CW filters and 0.5ppm TCXO               **
   **  Ant: Inv-L 60m long, 6m high at feed end, 12m high at far end **