Re: LF: Solar Flare on LF...

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Solar Flare on LF...
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 17:25:04 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
DF3LP wrote:
Recording HBG75 (75 kHz) over the whole last week I found a
strong anomaly at Saturday, 14th. I observed a steep
increase of field strength (9dB) followed by a smooth
decrease looking like a typical exponential function.
Looking to sites offering geomagnetic data I could not
explain it. So my first assumption was that it could have
been an artefact.

==snip==
J.J.Delcourt from RMI gave the explanation: It was the
influence of a Solar Flare on LF propagation. (Thank you!) I
never observed this before...

Wow! Now if that sort of anomoly can be caught in time, it could be well worth using for a QSO - even with extremely slow speed CW.

This sort of sudden peak in signal strength has been reported before, when listening to amateur signals. May be the same effect.

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.dennison.demon.co.uk/activity.htm