Re: LF: Ground systems

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Ground systems
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 09:28:34 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
G3YXM wrote:
In my experience, as in all amateur installations, you have to experiment to
get the best result! At home in the city, on good clay soil, earth stakes
didn't seem to help much but radials did. The greatest help was to bond all
the incoming service pipes, water, gas and mains earth (all underground)
together.
In Scotland the best results were obtained by running as many surface wires
as I could to wire fences around the area, earth stakes achieved absolutely
nothing in the poor soil.

My experience is that earth stakes outperformed my insulated and buried radial system by a long way. The most successful stake is about 10m away from the base of the vertical, slightly lower than it (sloping site) and away from the horizontal section of the inverted- L. A wire to a buried water tank under the horizontal section does nothing. I agree with whoever said that it is possible to get a real improvement, even if the current does not alter - useful to monitor the received signal when adding new radials.

By contrast, when operating portable in south-west Wales at a site 0.5km from the sea and beside a river, I found that a single 100m insulated radial lying on the ground worked much better than any earth stakes I could bury. Obviously when portable it is possible to get more wire out than at a suburban location.

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.dennison.demon.co.uk/activity.htm