LF: re: H24

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: re: H24
From: "Finbar O'Connor" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 01:06:15 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi DAVID/G0MRF,
                            I forgot to explain what  H24 is.  Well we use it in marine radio communication to denote say  a station which is on for  24 hours a day. Like my own station where I work, Malin Head Radio, it is operational  24 hour's a day. It was common for ship station's with say one Radio Officer to be  H8, denoting that the R/O was on watch  for 8 hours only.
As you mentioned, it will be very interesting to see what effects daytime and nighttime operation have on the beacon signal and whether there are any effects at dawn or dusk. I have been checking the transmitter and the heatsink is quite cool, however I had to fit a cooling fan to the  twin toroidal transformers in the power supply, they were getting quite hot. An old army fan was installed and now keeps the PSU nice and cool. I did not want to use the normal PSU, since I usually use it via a Variac, to run it up to full power and check on settings before operating at full bore. It supplies  100 volts off load, with key down it drops to 75 volts, to the Mosfets. That little lot gives me  3.3 amps antenna current, but I dare not leave that set up unattended  or I would have lots of blown equipment.
Best regards and let me know how you get on with the reception on 136.150 khz
73's Finbar  EI0CF