LF: Re: PA0SE and LF sourcebook

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: PA0SE and LF sourcebook
From: "Dick Rollema" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:58:38 +0200
Sender: <[email protected]>
From PA0SE

Alan Melia wrote:
.
Fascinating measurements Dick, I must go back and read those again. Though
really wonder what use standards are when the noise is S5.....I suppose
these were formulated for receive stations listening to big commercial
signals like DCF39, or for quieter HF bands.

What I called noise is my local noise level, which is certainly not like
white noise. it originates from LORAN and  unidentified sources.

The IARU-recommendation was certainly not meant for the lF-band; that did
not exist when it was made.
Even on the amateur HF-bands the noise level is almost always over S2 or so.
At my location on 80 m daytime noise is about S4. On 40 m a bit lower.

I suspect that the noise on 136 kHz at my QTH is above avarage. I think it
must be lower at quite a few stations I have worked.

73, Dick, PA0SE