Re: LF: Re: PA0SE Field Strength Meter

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: PA0SE Field Strength Meter
From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 15:59:56
Sender: <[email protected]>
At 14:33 13/07/99 +0200, PA0SE wrote:

There are two factors to be considered, sensitivity and selectivity.

A dc-receiver can be made as sensitive as a superhet.
I think that a third factor has te be considered, especially on LF : the
intermodulation behavior of the RX.
From my experience with DC-receivers on 80m I know that strong signals near
the 'passband' can not only cause 'gost-signals' but also make the RX very
insensitive (DC breakthrough).
The most critical part (assuming you have a proper designed RF preamp with
good IM behavior) is the mixer, this should be a a high-quality DBM.
But on 136kHz an almost-perfect DBM is much easier to realise than on HF, I
have heard about good results using analog switches as replacement for the
diodes.

73, Rik

Rik Strobbe  ON7YD
[email protected]
Villadreef 14  B-3128 Baal  BELGIUM   (JO20IX)