Re: LF: Antennas, bandwidth, etc

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Antennas, bandwidth, etc
From: "vernall" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 19:38:44 +1200
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dave Sergeant wrote:

>From Dave G3YMC

Bob ZL2CA says:

<It has been noted in ZL that noise blankers do not work so well on
<narrowband loop receiving antennas

I have never found a noise blanker on any amateur receiver which has the
slightest effect on the sort of noise we encounter on 136 or any of the LF
bands, and they only really seem to work on ignition type of noise such as
you might expect on VHF.  Some recent rigs may perform better, but in
reality the noise blanker on most rigs is wasted space and it is no great
loss if it works even less well with a narrow band antenna!

73s Dave G3YMC

I can say that at least 3 ZL LowFers find the noise blankers on Icom
IC-751, Icom IC-735 and Kenwood TS 520 to be effective on LF, equivalent
to 6 dB or so of signal improvement.  This is mostly for "spike" type of
noise.  All the noise blankers are in the IF, using the "Lamb" type of
noise blanking with a diode ring type of noise gate, before the main IF
filter.

Bob ZL2CA