Re: LF: SCW report saturday june 12

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: SCW report saturday june 12
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 20:41:58 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
PA3GUC wrote:
I  'saw' 2 transmissions in the
slow cw part of
the LF band. The first from Geri was ok and stable within 1 Hz;  a
second signal  was okay for
the signal strength, but especially the first part of the transmission
was unreadable because
of a not stable oscillating circuit. That transmission could have been
from Mike,  G3XDV

?3XDV 137.702 - 137.718 kHz. probably calling cq, first part of
transmission not visible.

I think that to take part in scw, you must have a stable carrier. the
second transmission (G3XDV?)
apparently had thermal feedback from the PA, the frequency drift was
more than 16 Hz, too much.

Thanks for the report, Jaap - I make the distance 477km.
I do have some drift right at the start of my transmission, perhaps
10Hz, which is why I start each transmission with two dashes. After that
the drift is no more than 2-3Hz for the entire CQ lasting 5 minutes.

Yes, I do need to improve on that but even with an unstable carrier I
have managed 10 QRSs contacts, including the 73kHz two-way distance
record (lasting a year), the first G-ON QSO, 5 with DL, and HB9ASB.

I will build a better oscillator but in the meantime, unless I am
causing anyone QRM, I will continue using what I am sure you will agree
is a super technique for working DX.

Hope to work you some day. 73

--
Mike, G3XDV