Re: LF: DSP?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: DSP?
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 09:28:20 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
OK1FIG wrote:
We are probably damned to fight agains QRN and QRM. Recently I had opportunity to buy an external DSP device. I wonder what the experience of DSP users are. Certainly it is great to have a very narrow non-ringing filter.
I mean rather use of  noise-reduction techniques. Do they really provide
a possibility of making very weak signals (normal CW) more readable?
Or is it only a toy and I had better to rely on my well-trained ear?

My experience is that with only one weak signal down in the noise, an external DSP filter does not give better readability than a "well trained ear". As the signal gets stronger, or QRM is audible, it is more comfortable listening to the DSP filtered signal. I have not found a DSP filter that has an effect on QRN. I think it is worth having such a filter, if only to reduce the strong close-in QRM that GW4ALG wrote about (not a problem in OK - yet), but don't expect to be able to read weaker stations than you can now.

I suspect that the way forward with LF reception is with a very narrow-band, highly directional rotatable receive antenna with broad front and steep null. This will allow the reduction of amateur QRM, electrical noise, and blocking by commercial signals. Interestingly, when I built an amplified ferrite rod receive antenna for 73kHz it had a much narrower bandwidth (few hundred Hz) and sharper null than my 1m loop antenna - but the loop received better!

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.dennison.demon.co.uk/activity.htm