Re: LF: Weekend reports 8/9 May

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Weekend reports 8/9 May
From: "DEREK ATTER" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 07:28:24 -0400
Sender: <[email protected]>
From Derek Atter,  G3GRO.

Over the weekend 8/9 th May I was active at various times from the Crawley
Club Station using G3GRO/P with 250W RF to the 120m inverted "L" antenna
with the horizontal single wire top section up at 20m.  Was also using a
single-turn square receiving loop with 12m sides,  phased with the main
antenna to very effectively cancel the very strong Loran pulse interference
present for much of the day

Activity on Saturday 8th. seemed to be pretty low with very bad QRN in the
late afternoon and the only station I worked was Harry PA0LQ who was 539
and gave me 579.

On  Sunday 9th. Activity during the daytime seemed disappointingly low but
QRN levels lower than the previous day.  Worked John, G4GVC (589); Andy
G4HYU in Louth (579), Dave G3YMC  and Marcus, PA0MLC in Arnhem (539).
Conditions peaked very noticeably later in the evening and for the first
time heard OZ1KMN (549) at 20.00 UT,  I5MXX at 20.50 UT who peaked to 549
over quite a short period of time and LX1PD but despite several calls to
each, no QSOs resulted! Also heard Toni HB9ASB at 539 working Dave G3YXM. Discovered that using the canceller system to null out Loran (which lies on a bearing of about 210 deg. from me) works very well for most stations but I suddenly realised that
seemed to peak from about 20.00 UT

I have been relatively inactive on 136Khz in recent weeks due to a very
high local noise level which has