LF: Peter Bobek

To: "lfgroup" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Peter Bobek
From: "Kate Moore" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 12:56:47 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Peter.W.Bobek, DJ8WL, passed away on april 26......

It's difficult to know what to say. I'm stunned; I knew Peter was ill, but I
didn't realise just how serious it was.

The first time I came across Peter was on Packet in 1997 when he notified us
of his DA0LF permit. When he joined this reflector later that year, many of
us took part in his pioneering slow-cw tests, which opened up that mode and
gave most of us our first amateur signal on 136kHz - my DA0LF QSL will be
even more treasured now.

From that point on Peter and I regularly exchanged packet messages and
e-mail
until we finally met up at the LF Forum at Windsor last year, where he took
the trouble to bring over some thermocouple ammeters for me. Everyone who
attended seemed impressed by what a nice guy he was, his faultless English
and deep knowledge and enthusiasm for LF. It was particularly poignant to
work him on 136kHz when he was operating GB4RS, at a time when his German
permit had been suspended.

When we started the topband nets, Peter was a regular contributor with an
excellent signal into the UK, and often called in early or stayed on
afterwards for a chat. After the last net I was able to chair, he looked for
Finbar and I on 136kHz slow-cw, and copied us both that night. I was hoping
we would finally make the LF 2-way when the Westerwald trip was planned, but
in the end he wasn't able to go. Even so, in spite of being ill, he took
the trouble to set up skeds for us with Walter and Gun, and came on air to
check with them we had made it. I could just copy his signal during that
QSO - the last time I heard Peter on air - on LF.

All of us who now operate on 136kHz owe a debt to DJ8WL - a true Radio
Amateur in every sense. We will miss you Peter. 73.

                John G4GVC