LF: Re: Computer recording of signal levels

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Computer recording of signal levels
From: "Peter Dodd" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 23:20:19 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
As computers get more complex we have to, metophorically, constantly reinvent the wheel. The old BBC computer had, as standard, a four channel A/D converter and children in science classes in school were using it to record experimental data from transducers. This was done using a BASIC word called ADVAL which addressed the A/D converter. I used this method to plot polar diagram files and the BBC method is described in the 1st Edition of 'The Antenna Experimenter's Guide'. When the IMB computer became the world standard I had to solve the A/D converter problem. A company called Pico produced a very simple dongle that plugged into the printer port that can be addressed using GW-BASIC and QBASIC. This is described in the 2nd edition of 'The Antenna Experimenter's Guide' (available from RSGB bookshop). The S/W listing is on the RSGB website <www.rsgb.org> under books. The BASIC program is now not supplied with modern computers and EXCEL is appears to be the main tool for non-programmers to make calculations for radio, however, I dont know if it can be made to talk to a simple A/D converter.

--
Regards, Peter, G3LDO

<[email protected]>