Re: LF: Weekend report

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Weekend report
From: [email protected]
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 20:32:57 EST
Sender: <[email protected]>
In a message dated 08/03/99 09:21:32 GMT, G4GVC writes:

<< Is anyone else getting alarmed at the number of stations (in all countries)
who are starting to appear on the band with good signals but mediocre or
even atrocious receive systems? It's relatively easy to build (or buy, now)
an effective LF transmitter, but how can we encourage people to work on
their receive systems and ensure they can receive as well as they radiate?
An interesting challenge in education for sure.

Yes,  but I do have some sympathy as I've been there myself.

In my case, my receiver was deaf as a post at 136. In fact from measurements
the Icom 756 is an order of magnitude worse than other receivers.  Even my
first attempt with a receive converter suffered from excessive local
oscillator leakage which caused de-sense. Thankfully, with help from this
reflector, the problems were identified and overcome and now it's mainly local
noise and antennas which limit performance.

Both DF2PY and LX1PD have very strong TX signals, and like many of us in the
early days, would probably be beaconing away for hours for reports if band
occupancy was lower. (Actually it must seem like that for them)

I guess the only solution is for local stations to disseminate information and
encourage improvements in RX performance. I note that neither are on the
reflector.

The problems across the channel seem to be related to noise and intermod's
rather than sensitivity perhaps some of the noise reduction techniques that
have been developed could be added to a web site so that this information
could be more widely accessed. We may also need a translation or two so that
any techniques developed become pan-European At least hard copy could be
posted to those not on the net!

I suppose after a reasonable period of time it's going to be: pse QSY
frequency in use. Oh dear, sounds like CQWW!

73

David