LF: You can work DX on 136 too!

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: You can work DX on 136 too!
From: "Steve Rawlings" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 21:29:12 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
In an interesting Email,  Des M0AYF wrote:

. . . . .   is it possible to make contacts effectively at 136 kHz with a
proposed antenna which would only be about 25 feet high and about 50 foot long
(horizontal wire or "T" resonated against ground) as this is about as much as
I could ever manage within the garden of my town semi.

To Des, and others in the same situation, I say "It certainly is possible!"I too
have a small back garden (50 ft x 35 ft), but have worked over 40 different LF
stations in 8 countries on 136 kHz - all using normal CW and simple,
HF-band-sized antennas.   But I'm just one of many amateurs using 'limited
space' antennas on 136 kHz.  I've even worked Bill G6NB (107 km) when he was
using an indoor antenna!   I believe that I currently hold the UK distance
record (to OH1TN, 1916 km), and also share the intra-UK distance record (703 km)
with Dave GM3YXM/P.

You'll get lots of encouragement and advice from members of the LF Group to do
as well, - and better!   It's true that, from a small garden, you won't be able
to work every station you hear - but you CAN make contacts, and have a lot of
fun too!

And you don't need to rely on fancy computerised data links to have DX
'contacts' - just plug in the key, and work 'em!

Regards to all,
Steve GW4ALG
01291 625977
[email protected]